Carol Roye's Letter to the Editor in NY Times
A letter that Carol Roye wrote to the NY Times editor was just published yesterday. The letter is in response to an article published on December 19, 2015 entitled The Reproductive Rights Rollback of 2015. Read the entire letter here.
The year in review:
- States have enacted 288 abortion restrictions since the beginning of 2011
- In 2015 alone, state legislators passed 57 new constraints on a woman’s right to choose.
- Lawmakers have been writing TRAP laws (or Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers) that disguise their true intent, to eradicate abortion altogether.
- Going after the health clinics causes an increase in closures, which then increases the chance that a woman will attempt a self-induced abortion.
- It is estimated that 100,000-240,000 TX women have attempted a self-induced abortion, likely due to having limited access to legal abortion clinics.
- More than 24 states already require waiting periods for abortions and an additional five more states joined their ranks this year.
It seems that the assault on a woman's right to choose isn't going away any time soon. There is no doubt that 2016 will be filled with even more new constraints. Stay informed, stay alert.
Please follow us on the following networks: